National Nutella Day!
Yesterday was my one of my favorite national food days this month, third only to National Pizza Day and National Margarita Day. Whoever invented Nutella is forever my hero, right behind George Washington, Tina Fey, and my mom (naturally). I dropped the ball and completely forgot to celebrate yesterday because I was in a head cold haze, but rest assured, I will find a way. Really, if I hadn’t resolved to snack “better” and if I made it to the gym more, I would be adding Nutella to my everyday life way more often, but alas…
This doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate, though. In fact, this means you should definitely celebrate for me. So I’m proposing five easy ways to add a little Nutella (and instant joy) to your day, and by association, mine.
1. Nutella Crescent Rolls—SO SIMPLE, SO DELICIOUS. Go get some Pillsbury crescent rolls, slather with Nutella, roll those babies up, and bake as instructed. Have a tea party and enjoy. Or just enjoy them on your own, standing in your kitchen, eating them off the cooling rack before anyone else gets home. I’m down with that too.
2. Nutella Hot Chocolate— Heat a mug’s worth (or multiple mugs worth depending on how many people are drinking it) of milk in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in a (large) spoonful of Nutella. Add more according to taste. If you like it super sweet or just want to drink Nutella, and another spoonful. If you want to be moderate… add half a spoonful. If you want to abide by the whole “hot chocolate” part, throw in 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder or hot cocoa. Stir continuously until smooth. Take off heat and carefully pour into mugs. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream, or just start sipping. I almost said chug, but that would be a waste of perfection. Don’t do it.
3. Seek out dessert—If you’re too lazy to make something or cannot be trusted with a jar of Nutella in your apartment, go on a expedition to find some Nutella-laden dessert. For example, Sigmund’s Pretzels makes an assortment of handcrafted pretzels (among other things) and gives you the dipping sauce of your choice. Get a cinnamon raisin pretzel and douse it in Nutella. I’m jealous already.
4. Nutella fondue—Just think about dipping strawberries and bananas and cookies and marshmallows (too much?) in Nutella. You don’t need a fondue pot, either. You can easily do this with a baby crockpot, or your own makeshift double broiler (if you’re feeling fancy and up to the task). Put a half cup of Nutella and a half cup of dark chocolate chips into your heating vehicle of choice. Add in a cup of cream or half & half and cook on low heat for about an hour, or until smooth and dippable! If you’re dying to do this and don’t have a crockpot type device, heat the cream in a sauce pan and then stir in the Nutella and chocolate until smooth. Cut up some fruit while you wait and feast. Who needs dinner when you have Nutella fondue?
5. The Last Resort—or the best resort? If all else fails, it can be you, a spoon, and a jar of Nutella. Do it for National Nutella Day. Do it because it’s Friday.
Post by Lian Weinstein. Picture from MeltyBuzz.fr